So we all know first impressions are the strongest. Many times when looking at a house, home buyers (especially first timers) have a hard time realizing the potential of a home. The judgement starts right when you pull up to that house, with these easy and relatively inexpensive ways to spruce up your entrance, buyers won’t have to imagine what it could become.
Here are my top ten cheap and quick ways to add curb appeal
- Most of us don’t have the time or the funds to get the entire house painted before listing it and often times your house may not even need it. An easy way to give a fresh look is to paint the front door and the trim around the windows. Updating the current color or even changing it to give a nice contrast with the house can completely change the appearance.
- Dated light fixtures can be ugly and just bring down the look of an entrance. Buying a new one can give a modern or new feel.Lights are a great way to make a statement.
- Buy new house numbers! Overtime weather can rust and cause wear on numbers.
- Makeover your mailbox. There are many ways to do this from just giving your mailbox a quick paint job with spray paint or just getting a new one completely. If you decide to stick with the original one and use paint, make sure to clean and sand it down first! Rust and dust underneath paint could make it worse than when you started.
- Pressure wash your deck. So we did this to our home when we first moved in and I was ASTONISHED to see what a difference it made. It looked like I had a freshly painted deck! Although it does take a little bit of elbow grease and time, it will change your world.
- Step six is to fill in concrete cracks. Who wants an old worn down path to their house? I sure don’t. You can get concrete repair caulk from any hardware store; clean out dirt and debris with a wire brush then just fill in those cracks!
- The cheapest tip on this list is to simply clean out your gutters and downspouts. Old damp leaves can result in a musty, moldy smell as well as look absolutely disgusting. If you’ve been neglecting those gutters, now is the time to clean them! Fall brings leaves and we all know how messy that can get.
- Like I said before, fall is upon us! This means annual flowers are sadly dying as well as weeds and leaves in your garden. Clean up your garden by pulling all these out and add mulch to cover that ugly, empty ground. Your garden will look nice all winter!
- Move the trash and recycle bins if they can be seen from the street.
- Finally, add a little more personality to your front porch with a welcome mat and some potted plants! Nothing says hello, you’re entering a well loved home like a friendly and colorful porch.
I hope these tips help you get your house ready to be put on the market! Please follow me on twitter and facebook if you don’t already!